How Does It Work?
Finpecia 1 mg contains Finasteride which is a 5-alpha Reductase inhibitor. It works by blocking the effects of the enzyme 5-alpha-reductase that converts the male sex hormone testosterone into dihydrotestosterone (DHT). DHT binds with the receptors of hair follicles, disturbing their natural growth cycle and causing them to shrink. This leads to an enlarged prostate or hair loss in men. Finpecia 1 mg blocks the action of 5-alpha-reductase and decreases the amount of DHT in the body. This results in a decreased prostate size and increased hair growth on the scalp. The effects of this medicine last long, only for the time the medication is taken.
It is prescribed for the treatment of the following conditions:
- Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) – is an age-associated condition that leads to an enlarged prostate in men causing urination difficulty.
- Androgenetic Alopecia – a condition that causes permanent hair loss in men, ultimately leading to baldness.
It is recommended to be taken once daily. It can be taken with or without food.
- For patients suffering from Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), the effects of this medicine can be experienced in 6 months.
- For patients suffering from hair loss, the effects of this medicine can be experienced in 3-4 months.
It can take around 6-9 months for the person to experience the full effects (of hair regrowth) of this medication, provided a daily dosage of the drug is followed. Follow your doctor’s prescription carefully to achieve the desired results. These may vary depending on factors such as age, metabolism, health conditions, etc.
Missed Dosage: If a dose is missed, take it as soon as possible. Unless it’s time for your next scheduled dose, skip the missed dose. Do not double dose to make up for the missed dosage. Abrupt termination of the course will lead to hair loss.
Overdose: Overdosing can lead to severe side effects. If you experience any side effects mentioned below, contact your doctor immediately.
Before you take Finpecia 1 mg tablet, let your doctor know:
- If you have prostate cancer.
- If you have kidney or liver disease.
- If you have urination problems.
- If you have a bladder muscle disorder.
- If you have a urethral stricture.
- If you are allergic to Finasteride or Dutasteride.
Common side effects of Finpecia 1 mg include:
- Runny nose
- Skin rashes
- Abdominal pain
- Chills or cold sweats
- Swelling or tenderness in breasts
- Swelling in hands or feet
- Loss of interest in sex or trouble achieving an orgasm
- Rapid weight gain
If you experience any of the above-mentioned side effects for an extended period, contact your doctor immediately.
Certain drugs can interact with Finpecia 1 mg and alter how it works. If you take any herbal, OTC, recreational, or any other form of drugs, let your doctor know about them. Here is a list of drugs that can interact with Finpecia 1 mg
- Blood thinners such as warfarin
- Beta-blockers such as propranolol
- Antipyrine and benzocaine otic
- Oral antifungals such as itraconazole
- St. John’s Wort
- HIV Protease inhibitors such as nelfinavir
Interaction with alcohol
Interaction with alcohol has not been studied. However, talk to your doctor about potential interactions.
- Keep the medicines out of reach of children.
- Keep the pills away from direct heat, moisture, and sunlight.
- Once the pack is opened, store the pills in an airtight container.
- Do not consume the pills past their expiration date.
FINAST 5 MG TABLETS
Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories
FINAX 1 MG
FINCAR 5 MG
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. How long does it take for Finpecia 1 mg to work?
Ans. For patients suffering from Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), it takes around six months for Finpecia 1 mg to show its effects. For the treatment of Male Pattern Baldness, it takes around 3-4 months for this medicine to show results.
Q. Does Finpecia regrow hair?
Ans. Finpecia contains Finasteride which decreases the amount of DHT in the body, thereby promoting hair regrowth. It also helps to prevent the weakening of hair follicles and improves overall hair health.
Q. Is Finpecia safe to use?
Ans. Finpecia is a safe and effective oral drug used for the treatment of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) and Androgenetic Alopecia in men. Doctors recommend taking a single tablet of this medication daily.
Q. Is Finpecia a steroid?
Ans. Finpecia or Finasteride is a synthetic 4-azasteroid compound and a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor. It is an analog of steroid hormones like testosterone and DHT.
Q. Who should not take Finasteride?
Finasteride is only meant to treat Male Pattern Baldness and Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia. It should not be used (or even handled) by women who are pregnant or are trying to conceive. This medicine can cause congenital disabilities in male babies.
Q. Can I take Finpecia every day?
Finpecia is recommended to be taken once daily. Continued usage of this medicine is recommended in the long term to achieve desired results.
Q. Can Finpecia cause impotence?
Finpecia can cause impotence in some men. Men are likely to be affected by the sexual side effects of the drug that can generate impotence in the long term.
- Zito PM, Bistas KG, Syed K. Finasteride. [Updated 2022 May 8]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK513329/
- Mysore V, Shashikumar BM. Guidelines on the use of Finasteride in androgenetic alopecia. Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol. 2016 Mar-Apr;82(2):128-34. DOI: 10.4103/0378-6323.177432. PMID: 26924401. https://ijdvl.com/guidelines-on-the-use-of-finasteride-in-androgenetic-alopecia/
- Gupta AK, Venkataraman M, Talukder M, Bamimore MA. Finasteride for hair loss: a review. J Dermatolog Treat. 2022 Jun;33(4):1938-1946. DOI: 10.1080/09546634.2021.1959506. Epub 2021 Aug 2. PMID: 34291720. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09546634.2021.1959506?journalCode=ijdt20
- Tackling J, Fink HA, Macdonald R, Rutks I, Wilt TJ. Finasteride for benign prostatic hyperplasia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010 Oct 6;2010(10):CD006015. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD006015.pub3. PMID: 20927745; PMCID: PMC8908761.
- Fertig RM, Gamret AC, Darwin E, Gaudi S. Sexual side effects of 5-α-reductase inhibitors finasteride and dutasteride: A comprehensive review. Dermatol Online J. 2017 Nov 11;23(11):13030/qt24k8q743. PMID: 29447628.
- Piraccini BM, Blume-Peytavi U, Scarci F, Jansat JM, Falqués M, Otero R, Tamarit ML, Galván J, Tebbs V, Massana E; Topical Finasteride Study Group. Efficacy and safety of topical finasteride spray solution for male androgenetic alopecia: a phase III, randomized, controlled clinical trial. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2022 Feb;36(2):286-294. doi: 10.1111/jdv.17738. Epub 2021 Oct 25. PMID: 34634163; PMCID: PMC9297965. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jdv.17738
- Shapiro J, Kaufman KD. Use of finasteride in the treatment of men with androgenetic alopecia (male pattern hair loss). J Investig Dermatol Symp Proc. 2003 Jun;8(1):20-3. doi: 10.1046/j.1523-1747.2003.12167.x. PMID: 12894990. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022202X15529357