Modalert 100 mg Modafinil Tablets
How It Works
Modafinil, the active ingredient in Modalert 100 mg affects the areas of the brain that influence sleep and wakefulness. It works by binding to the receptors of the transmit receptors of the neurons, which enhances the availability of the neurotransmitters such as dopamine, serotonin, noradrenaline, etc., at the synapses. This boosts focus, concentration, energy, and cognitive abilities.
Uses of Modalert 100 mg
Doctors recommend Modalert 100 mg tablets for the treatment of the below-listed conditions:
- Narcolepsy: A chronic disorder affecting the nervous system wherein people feel overwhelming drowsiness, and attacks of sleep during the daytime. In many cases, this disorder also results in loss of muscle control temporarily, hallucinations, and fragmented sleep at night.
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea: It is a condition that seriously affects your breathing when you are asleep. There is repeated stopping and restarting of breathing during sleep. The throat muscles relax blocking the airways. To take in the air, the chest muscles and diaphragm have to work extra to open the airway to pull air inside the lungs.
- Shift Work Sleep Disorder (SWSD) – This disorder affects people who have to work in nontraditional timings. This affects the natural body clocks or the circadian rhythms and results in problems with falling or staying asleep.
The dosage is usually decided by the doctor after a thorough analysis of your situation. However, it is recommended to take one tablet of Modalert 100 mg by mouth in 24 hours.
- For the treatment of Narcolepsy or Obstructive Sleep Apnea, it is advised to take one tablet, either with or without food, in the morning, unless advised otherwise by the doctor.
- For the treatment of Shift Work Sleep Disorder, you would be required to take one pill 1-2 hours before the start of your shift, so that the drug can be metabolized to enter your bloodstream.
Modalert 100 mg’s effects last for 12-14 hours. However, the exact duration depends on certain factors such as age, health conditions, and the metabolism of the user. Also, to maintain the level of modafinil in the body to work effectively for the treatment of narcolepsy and obstructive sleep apnea, the tablet should be consumed around the same time every day.
In case you miss a dose, take one as soon as you remember. However, if you plan on sleeping within the next 4-5 hours, skip the dose entirely and continue with the normal schedule from the next day. Do not take a double dose.
Be extremely cautious while taking this medication, as overdosing on Modalert 100 mg can cause severe side effects. If you overdose, contact your doctor immediately for medical assistance.
Modalert 100 mg is required to be used with caution in some medical conditions. Inform your doctor in case you have the following conditions.
- Any known allergies to Modafinil or any other medication.
- If you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or are planning on conceiving.
- If you suffer from mental health disorders such as anxiety, depression, etc.
- If you suffer from diabetes, hypertension, etc.
- If you have or have had a cardiovascular health issue such as heart attack, coronary artery disease.
- If you have or have had a case of thrombosis or stroke.
- If you have a family history of cardiovascular diseases, thrombosis, or stroke.
- If you suffer from kidney or liver disease, including cancer.
- If you have a history of any drug or alcohol abuse.
Side Effects of Modalert 100 mg
Most of the commonly experienced side effects resolve on their own as your body adjusts to the medication. However, if you feel the side effects are persistent and worsen over time.
- Runny nose
- Dryness of mouth
- Difficulty in sleeping
- Infection of the upper respiratory tract
- Pain in chest
- Fever & chills
If you experience any of the below-listed symptoms, seek immediate assistance from your doctor.
- Hypersensitivity – hives, swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat, or difficulty in breathing.
- Absence of sleep at night.
- Bruising or bleeding
- Severe mood fluctuations – anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts.
Interactions With Other Drugs
Certain medications, prescription, nonprescription, and herbal, may affect the working of Modalert or aggravate the side effects caused by it. Convey to your doctor or pharmacist about all the medications you are taking to prepare a suitable dosage schedule for you.
- Hormonal birth control pills
Interaction with Alcohol
Using alcohol with this medication may increase your odds of experiencing the side effects and affect your health significantly. It is advised to avoid the use of alcohol while you are on this medication.
Keep the tablets in their original packaging. And ensure that they are,
- Out of reach of children.
- Stored away from direct sunlight, moisture, and heat.
- Stored in an airtight container when opened.
- Disposed of properly when expired. Do not consume expired tablets.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. What is Modalert 100 mg used for?
Modalert 100 mg is administered as a wakefulness-promoting drug for the treatment of sleeping disorders such as narcolepsy, obstructive sleep apnea, and shift work disorders. It is used as an off-label medication for other disorders as well.
Q2. Is Modalert the same as Modafinil?
Modalert is the generic name for the medication that contains Modafinil as an active ingredient and works as a wakefulness-promoting drug.
Q3. How much Modalert should be taken for effective results? Can I take it without food as well?
- The dosage recommended by the doctor for treatment with Modalert tablets should be strictly adhered to. Usually, one tablet is required to be consumed in a 24-hour time frame.
- Modafinil is generally well tolerated on empty stomach as well. In case you feel nausea, take the medication with a meal.
Q4. Is Modalert 100 mg safe for use?
Modalert 100 mg is safe for consumption when the correct dosage is consumed and all the precautions are followed. It is safe and effective in the treatment of sleeping disorders, with minor side effects in some people.
Q5. Can Modalert 100 mg affect the ability to drive?
Modalert tablets may cause drowsiness or dizziness in some people. Therefore it is recommended to avoid driving till you establish how the medication affects you.
Q6. Is Modalert 100 mg safe for use during breastfeeding?
Modalert may pass on to breast milk, and there is limited data available to determine the effects of it on the breastfed baby. Therefore, it is recommended to consult your doctor regarding the use of Modafinil-containing drugs when you are breastfeeding.
Q7. Can I use Modalert 100 mg if I’m pregnant?
It is advised not to use Modalert 100 mg when you are pregnant. Consult your doctor for an alternative medication that may be suitable for use during pregnancy. There is insufficient data available for human studies. However, animal studies show that Modafinil may cause adverse effects in the fetus.
Q8. Does Modalert 100 mg affect sleep?
Modalert works by controlling excessive sleepiness in people suffering from narcolepsy. Even though the chances are very low but, by its use, some people experience trouble falling asleep at night as well. Talk with your doctor if you face any such problem.
Q9. Is Modalert safe for long-term use?
Long-term use of Modalert is not recommended by health professionals as it can lead to serious side effects such as hallucinations, insomnia, mood disorders such as anxiety and depression. Prolonged use also increases the potential for abuse in people with alcoholism or drug abuse history.